Friday, June 30, 2006

well, farg me

Checking my e-mail this morning, I got a nice surprise message from my brother R who is now firmly back on the other side of the planet. We had recently caught up for the first time in a couple of years, in Germany. The reunion being the main purpose of the short-notice Deutsch reise...

I'd arrived the day before from the UK and he'd caught an overnight train from Austria, arriving early on a Sunday morning. Having made his way to the hotel in the north of the city, he had come up to the room knocked on the door and so 'it' had began.

Interestingly, in that first blast of conversation (not very well digested since I was still half asleep) he mentioned that he'd "just seen Bert & Ernie driving a beer truck outside the hotel" (Zum Zeppelin). I said "you mean, like Bert & Ernie off Seasame Street", "uh-huh!" he replied...

I didn't really respond since there is not much you can say to that sort of a statement at 8am on a Sunday morning. If he was older I'd have thought he was having some sort of weird 70's flashback.

So, a few months later and he just sent me a few snaps from the trip and low & behold there it is, in all of its reality or, more appropriately, surreality (is that a word?)...

Bert & Ernie driving a beertruck.

Funny how an odd conversation can be resolved 2 months later. Looking at the picture, I was pleased to see that in a 'true Teutonic law-abiding fashion' Bert had his seatbelt on (he always was a bit of a stickler for the rules).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey "Deutschlad Reise" is my keyword! ;-) Many greetings from germany! I didn't forget you but there is a lot to do at the moment. I write a soon as possible.
CU

8:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home